Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Spanish songs in Andalucia...

Last week I took a trip to Granada with Victor. It was awesome. You know you've been in England too long when you say things like "It can't be five, the sun's still out!"

This was my second trip to Spain, and was very different from the first, but just as good. Whereas before I was in Barcelona, de facto capital of the northern region of Catalonia, now I was down near the southern coast. The moorish influence was definitely visible, even beyond the Alhambra towering over the city. Most restaurants served, for example, couscous, and the population was much darker-hued than other parts of Spain.

The Alhambra was unbelievable. Not only is it a massive freaking fort, impressive in and of itself, it also houses several ornate palaces, most fairly well preserved. There'll be pictures up later, but for now I'll just say dayum.

Also, props to random old ladies who put up with my shit-awful Spanish and help me figure out how to get to airports. Seriously, they rock.

A few random notes (some Spanish, some not):

There's apparently a major market in Granada for bootleg CDs. Or so I must infer from all the guys trying to sell them to me when I'm in a cafe.

It's so much better to convert from pounds to euros than dollars to euros.

Airports should not remind me architecturally of CostCo.

Heated lube is a bad idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vaiyakaranaka said...

I concur. Heated lube is a bad idea, and Spain was awesome. Although you did fail to mention the greatest edible substance on the face of the planet...

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home